Part of the Sonoma State Historic Park, the two-story, wide-balconied, adobe barracks facing Sonoma’s central plaza were built to house Mexican army troops under the command of General Vallejo.
Actual construction of the adobe barracks building probably took place in stages, but was more or less completed in 1840 and 1841.
98 E. Spain Street
Sonoma, CA 95476
Map, Directions, Hours, Reviews and more
Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by General M. G. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a ‘California Republic’ and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson’s Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.